I like the windows 7 grouping behaviour for multiple similar windows, except when I have multiple Explorer windows open. In this case, showing thumbnails of each open explorer window is next to useless, and I would like to know how to either:
- Disable thumbnail display completely (but preserve the grouping behaviour)
- Disable thumbnail display for a subset of programs (all explorer.exe instances)
- Change the number of similar programs that are open before the grouping behaviour falls back on a more sensible text preview when hovering over the taskbar icon (currently 14 or over)
I don’t particularly want to disable any other features of windows to get this behaviour, so disabling the theme completely isn’t what I want to do. I definitely want to keep the grouping behaviour. Its just those thumbnail previews I would like to alter.
Here are some screen shots of what I don’t want, and what I do want:
Change the number of similar programs that are open before the grouping behaviour falls back on a more sensible text preview when hovering over the taskbar icon (currently 14 or over)
This can be done.
- open regedit
- navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExplorerTaskband
- right-click on the empty space in the right-hand pane and create new DWORD value
- set the name to NumThumbnails
- double-click the value and set it to the maximum number of thumbnails you want to see
- close regedit, log off and log on again
That should do it. Note that you cannot completely disable thumbnails – setting the value to 0 is the same as setting it to 1.