I recently bought an IBM S51 PC (P4 3.2 GHz / 2 x 512 MB PC3200-400 DDR), with Win7 installed.
Noticed that Chrome aw snap-crashed some webpages, particularly those with Flash it seemed. After exchanging Win with Lubuntu 12.10, Chrome still crashes certain webpages.
Ran memtest86+ which showed RAM errors. These errors persist even though I have replaced RAM!
What can be the cause?
If memtest is showing errors after replacing RAM you have 5 possibilities:
- Memtest is not compatible with your motherboard (unlikely as your motherboard uses a common chipset and is not brand new)
- It’s not your RAM that is faulty, it’s the L1 or L2 cache (try running Memtest with cache off).
- One or more RAM sockets are faulty.
- There’s something else broken in the memory pipeline.
- You are incredibly unlucky and the replacement RAM is bad also.
If it’s not 1 or 4 you are probably stuck replacing your motherboard and/or CPU.
You might try running Memtest with less RAM if possible, or if there are 4 RAM sockets, putting the RAM in the unused sockets instead.