Linux is known for having lots of terminals and consoles that are built upon GTK, Qt, GNOME, KDE or X to run the shell (like bash). PowerShell on Windows runs with the Windows console (the same as used for cmd.exe) by default.
What are the other consoles or terminals available for Windows that support PowerShell?
Another Console Emulator, I developing.
ConEmu-Maximus5 is a Windows console emulator with tabs, which
presents multiple consoles and simple GUI applications as one
customizable GUI window with various features.
Today, ConEmu can be used with any other console application or simple
GUI tools (like PuTTY for example). ConEmu is an active project, open
It is highly customizable terminal with long feature list. For example:
- Tabs, you can easily (re)run selected tab as Administrator or another account
- Windows 7 Jump Lists and Progress on Taskbar buttons
- ANSI X3.64 and Xterm 256 colors
- configurable and clickable status bar
- optional Quake/tilde style
- Change cursor position with mouse click (cmd, powershell, tcc/le, …)
- (experimental) PowerShell pane inside Windows Explorer window (build 120625)
Have a loot at the Console Project over at SourceForge.
From their website:
Console is a Windows console window enhancement. Console features
include: multiple tabs, text editor-like text selection, different
background types, alpha and color-key transparency, configurable font,
different window styles
There does not seem to be a great selection, but I am new to PowerShell and I have not tried ‘Poshconsole’ but it looks interesting.
It is opensource working under the Microsoft Permissive License (Ms-PL).
This links to Download page that has reviews of different versions and new release notes.
Powershell ISE would be my pick. It’s a WPF application.